CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

NBSB

No Boyfriend Since Birth or NBSB was a term that I heard during my high school years when having a boyfriend mattered a lot. The term basically meant that I haven't had a boyfriend before and back then being an NBSB girl did not have any implications.

I'm 19 years old turning 20 soon and I am still an NBSB girl. I haven't been courted by any guy or even a girl (courting is a common practice in the Philippines); I haven't dated; no guy has confessed to me and I haven't confessed my love to any guy although I had fallen in love before. I was just unfortunate enough to have fallen for someone who had fallen in love with a friend.

I will not deny that I have longed to be in a romantic relationship with a man who I love and who loves me back. But as my friends say, "You haven't had a boyfriend yet 'cause God is still making the most beautiful love story for you." Yes, I have very corny friends but I appreciate how they try to comfort me.

There is nothing wrong with being single at my age. I have lots of friends who are also NBSB girls and I know others who are or were NBSB girls at nearly 30. But being single for this long and looking at couples in the mall or in campus, some NBSB girls would start to think "why isn't that girl me?", "why don't guys find me attractive?" or much worse, "is there something wrong with me?". Insecurities start to build up. You start asking yourself "am I not pretty?", "am I not interesting enough?", "am I ugly?" and "do I not have a personality?"

I have asked myself these questions before. I was so insecure that I started to hate myself. I wanted to revamp myself -a complete makeover. It also came to the point that I blamed my overprotective father for being so scary that he probably scared off any of my prospects. But neither did the work. Heck! I'm still single today!

It didn't come to me that I could not completely revamp myself. If I had to change completely then that wouldn't be me. In the end, I wouldn't be happy even if I were in a relationship because I wasn't free to be myself.

Also, I missed an important fact about being in a relationship... Love. There might be something wrong with us, NBSB girls. Our friends and family could also be a factor in our solitude. But being in love and being in a relationship means that the two of you accept each other's merits and flaws. To the other person, it doesn't matter if you're fat, stupid or ugly. You're you and he loves you for being you. It is only by being with that guy can you really change yourself for the better. Although, other people's opinion affect your relationship, which it surely will, in the end it all comes down to the two of you.

In short, God is indeed busy making the best love story for us, NBSB girls. We just have to wait for Him to finish. =)

0 comments: